Dish Sponges: true Bacteria receptacle, this is the most hygienic alternative

When washing dishes, using clean utensils is essential.

However, according to a team of Norwegian researchers, the sponge we commonly use can turn into a bacteria-filled place, even when washed frequently.

This study published in the Journal of Applied Microbiology states that the bacteria found on sponges are not harmful. However, they still have the ability to spread and possibly bring health problems.

The study shows that sponges, unlike brushes, have much higher overall levels of bacteria.

The position of science and its scholars.

In this regard, Markus Ergert, a microbiologist at the University of Furtwangen (Germany), in his research strongly recommends either eliminating the sponge or changing it very frequently.

In fact, if a sponge were to come in contact with salmonella bacteria, the spread would be very fast.

According to Trond Moretro, a researcher at Nofima, a Norwegian food research institute, the brush is definitely more hygienic. If any bacteria or salmonella were to spread, he explains that: “Salmonella and other bacteria grow and survive better in sponges than in brushes. The reason is that sponges in daily use never dry out. A single sponge can harbor more bacteria than people on Earth.”

And again, “The sponge is moist and accumulates food residues that are also food for bacteria, leading to rapid bacterial growth.”

At this point what should we replace our sponge with?

To avoid this, one should use brushes. In fact, the latter between washes manages to dry well and quickly. In this case, the researcher says, “Because the brush dries very quickly, harmful bacteria will die. Also, most brushes have a handle that prevents direct hand contact with potential harmful bacteria, unlike sponges. I advise consumers to try a brush the next time they need to replace their sponge.”

Changing our habits this time can only do us good.

You May Also Like