Over time, white garments tend to yellow, even if they are washed frequently. In addition, there are garments that, although they are not white, due to sweat and the passage of time, tend to discolor or leave haloes of yellow stains and dirt.
To effectively remove yellow stains from these garments without using harsh products such as bleach, some natural products can be used. Let’s see which ones!
To get rid of yellow stains, it is advisable to machine wash pillows every two to three months. To do this, it is essential to check on the label that the pillow can be machine washed.
The best way to get rid of these persistent stains are 3 remedies with natural and effective ingredients you have in your kitchen that we propose below:
Baking soda and vinegar
A mixture of baking soda with white vinegar is an all-natural product that is perfect for whitening and softening pillow fabrics. These ingredients have antibacterial and whitening properties that make it easier to remove dirt and sweat stains.
- 8 tablespoons baking soda (80 g)
- ½ cup white vinegar (125 ml)
- Put the pillows in the washing machine and add the baking soda and white vinegar.
- Have the cycle complete and, when finished, let them dry in the sun.
Warm water and lemon juice:
Everybody knows that fresh lemon juice is one of the most effective antibacterial and disinfectant agents that nature offers us, as confirmed by this study from the University of Benin (Nigeria). Therefore, it is not surprising that it is also one of the best allies for fresh, clean pillows.
- The juice of 6 lemons
- 2 ½ liters of water (10 cups)
- Heat the water and, when it boils, add the juice of 6 fresh lemons.
- Carefully soak the pillow, adding more water, if necessary, until it is completely covered.
- Let soak for 2 hours and then wash with your usual detergent.
Hydrogen peroxide and lemon
Mixing hydrogen peroxide with lemon makes a homemade antimicrobial with powerful active ingredients that removes sweat and saliva stains from white pillows.
- ½ cup of lemon juice (125 ml)
- 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide (250 ml)
- Add the ingredients to a bucket of warm water and soak the pillow for one hour.
- After the specified time has elapsed, rinse in the washing machine’s normal cycle and set it out to dry in the sun.
Keep your pillows clean!
In order for your pillows to stay in top condition longer, you can resort to the tricks we have already mentioned. However, remember to wash your bedding regularly and, after 2 years, change your pillow for a new one.